Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hunger Games Catching Fire

The Hunger Games Catching Fire (book 2 for those of you who loved the trilogy) trailer is out!



Catch the trailer here on youtube.

I read Book 1 otherwise known as The Hunger Games after I saw the marketing campaign for China Glaze's line of nail polishes for the movie (It used to be you read the book, then catch the movie. Then it was you saw the movie and went to read the book. Welcome to the new age of seeing the product, reading the book and catching the movie in that order). 

I was frankly intrigued by what I read from the press description of The Hunger Games and decided to read the books. I had watched Battle Royale a few years back (the Japanese movie where the media were comparing The Hunger Games to Battle Royale) and the concept wasn't brand new to me. 

Philip Seymour Hoffman plays Plutarch Heavensbee, a character of note in the 2nd and 3rd book of The Hunger Games trilogy. I first caught him in Capote and was impressed by his acting chops. His subsequent roles as morally ambigous characters or plain right evil men continued to impress beyond any pretty boy looks. 

As a reader, I felt the characters in the trilogy were well fleshed out and the books were compelling. As a parent, I felt slightly disturbed that these books were deemed suitable for young reading with its tales of violence, manipulations, rape etc. But then I remembered reading far worse books in my teenage years (V.C. Andrews for one) and I turned out alright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment