Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Apologies for the lack of before pics!
This was a nice punk sleeveless T-shirt which my well-meaning friends gave to me for my b-day, to indulge my goth phase.
But being size zero themselves, they fail to account for me being a fat girl whose flabby arms will strike men blind!
However, I was determined not to let them down, and took apart an old checked shirt, and cut out the long sleeves. This ensures that I am still left with the main shirt for a vest later.
I then cut open the side seams of the T-shirt.
Measuring out 5 inch tall triangles from wider ends, I folded and quick-stitched them into place around the tops of the shoulder seams to form the top cap-sleeves. (which distracts from the flabby arms and makes them look smaller)
Measuring out 3 inch X 12 inch rectangles from the remaining material, I sewed them to the open sides of the T-shirts, so that the top is now my proper size (not size zero!).
The next time I saw them with this top on, I was greeted with squeals, on how their present suited me perfectly......
Difficulty level: 3 out of 5
Machine sewing needed: Yes
Monday, August 31, 2009
That is the reason why I have clothes that can't fit me. Ok, I'll admit that partly is due to an temporal blindness that I am one size, when I am in fact the next size up.
What to do in such cases?
You can either give it away in a swap or to alter it to fit.
2) Measure the shoulder and back width of a jacket that fits. Calculate the amount of fabric needed for the panel. If the width of your normal jacket measures 15 inches, and the jacket you are expanding only measures 12 inches, the difference is 3 inches. You will need to cut 1.5 times the difference plus 1/2 inch on both side for seam allowance. In this case, the amount is (1.5*3 inches+2*0.5 inch seam allowance)= 5.5 inches.
3) Pin the floral strip into place between the two cut halves of the jacket. Baste into place before using the sewing machine. Remember to sew an overlock on the raw edges of the fabric.
4) To further decorate the jacket, cut a piece of the same fabric as the strip and cover the button with it.
Thursday, August 27, 2009
One day, I bought a pair of shorts at a flea market and the cut tended to bunch up at the hips. I then decided to exaggerate the effect by turning it into balloon shorts.
1) Take a pair of shorts, preferably longer than your intended length. The pair here was given to me by a_slashie who bought the black version of my khaki pair.
Machine sewing needed: Yes for the hemming
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Extract of iNuovi Cosmetics' brochure
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
The black capris were made out of a tough, denim-like material and that inspired a punk look. I still might just cut holes in the capris for an even grunger look.
1) Test bleach on a sample of the clothing. I hemmed the length of the capris and used the excess material to test how the bleach will look on the cloth.
2) Spread old newspapers on the floor and your intended workarea. Make sure it is not in an enclosed space, the fumes from the bleach can be quite toxic. Pour out some bleach into a container and dip a brush into the container (typical art supply brush shown here).
3) As I wanted to create the effect only on certain areas of the pants and to shape the areas of which the effect will be seen, I covered some areas with newspapers. Flick the wet brush onto the exposed area. After a few flicks, wait for the bleach to take effect before dipping the brush into bleach and repeating.
4) The pants will look somewhat like this. Here the effect is only on a vertical stripe as I only covered the rest of the capris with newspapers. Once satisfied with the effect, continue to do another area until satisfied.
Monday, August 24, 2009
I loved the colour and the asymmetrical hem of this skirt but didn't like the length. After languishing in my closet for a while, I decided to do something so that I would wear it more often.
With the help of parts from another dress, I decided to sew straps to the waistline of the skirt and to create a sash out of the same material. The straps and sash were a deep magenta pink, which matched the purple accents in the paisley design of the skirt.
In addition, I decided to use a cute ribbon brooch to secure the sash in place. In the above picture, the yellow & brown ribbon brooch is on the left and sash on the right.
How it looks when you secure the sash
The final look
Difficulty level: 1 out of 5
Machine sewing needed: No