Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Clothes transformation: Adding details to cuffs

I decided to add some detail to the cuffs of my capris since I dragged out the sewing machine. Adding a strip of patterned fabric to the cuff seemed like a good idea. 

Upturned cuff (underside to work on)

Decide on the fabric and cut a strip approximately:
Length: The same as the capri/pant leg +seam allowance (I'm not a gifted seamstress, so decided to err on the side of caution and added 5 cm as seam allowance)
Width: Width of cuff, 0.5A (shown in drawings) +seam allowance (I chose to add 2 cm on each side for the seam allowance, hence the width I used was 0.5A+ 2*2 cm)


Pin the fabric strip into place covering the cuff

Pin the seam allowance on the underside of the cuff


Machine stitch the seam allowance on the underside of the cuff in place (I used a zig-zag stitch so I wouldn't have to worry abt the fabric fraying) 

Machine stitch the other seam allowance (don't worry if the stitch isn't straight, this stitch will be hidden once you fold up the cuff) 

Fold up the cuff and machine stitch the cuff in place (you can skip this step if you don't want to make the cuffs a permanent part of the capris)

I used a straight line stitch to ensure the cuff will remain but any stitch should do. The zigzag stitch you see is the one used to secure the seam allowance and effectively 'locking' the fabric strip into place at the cuff.

What the cuff looks like after you've folded the cuff (there are no visible stitches in sight

End product hanging on the wall

Difficulty rating: 2 out of 5
Machine sewing: Preferred

No comments:

Post a Comment